Members of several churches came together Sunday for the Clarendon Hills/Hinsdale/Burr Ridge CROP hunger walk.
The 5K walk, sponsored by the Church World Service, started at Redeemer Lutheran Church in Hinsdale. The event asks participants to raise money to end hunger and to bring a nonperishable food item to drop off at HCS Family Services in Hinsdale at the start of the walk.
Church organizers did not know as of Monday how much money had been raised. But 25 percent of the total will go toward HCS’ food pantry. The other 75 percent will be used by Church World Service for disaster relief and to support local development in impoverished countries.
Organizers were also tabulating the shoes that people donated. That’s because this year, the Crop Walk coincided with another effort, the Shoeman Water Project.
Any wearable shoes without holes are sent to street vendors in Kenya, Haiti and South America, who then sell them to the local residents for pennies on the dollar, said Nancy Carpenter, an official of Christ Lutheran Church of Clarendon Hills. Money from the shoes also pays for water purification systems, repairs to hand pumps, and health and hygiene training.
A truck is scheduled to come Saturday to pick up all the shoes.
“On top of all this, the CROP walks try . . . to educate people about the prevalence of hunger and realistic efforts which are addressing this massive problem,” Carpenter said.