Chimney fire call in Hinsdale was false alarm.
Firefighters check out a smoking chimney on Grant Street after calls from the homeowner that there was no fire in the fireplace. | Brett Johnson—Sun-Times Media
Updated: February 5, 2013 6:07PM
HINSDALE — Vapor from a furnace was mistaken for smoke from a fire by a Hinsdale resident Friday morning.
Firefighters from multiple departments responded to a call on the 500 block of North Grant about 10:30 a.m. Feb. 1. The caller saw smoke and suspected it came from a chimney fire.
There was no fire, said Hinsdale Assistant Fire Chief Tim McElroy.
“The smoke was vapor coming out of a vent for the gas furnace,” he said.
From the ground, it’s difficult for a person to identify where the smoke is coming from, McElroy said.